google.com, pub-6663105814926378, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Nurturing Part Timers to Be Entrepreneurs 4289

Nurturing Part Timers to Be Entrepreneurs

Motivating part-time workers has become something of an art at Rachel's Bus Co., in Chicago. From the time E. Rachel Hubka, the company's president, stalled the business in 1989, she has looked for ways to hire good workers and help them develop. Now, the company's 120 mostly part-time drivers enjoy a benefits package that includes holiday and vacation pay and bonuses for perfect attendance. In addition, they get a chance to develop their own entrepreneurial skills in a way that not only enriches them but also helps the company. The firm contracts with the Chicago Board of Education to transport children to and from school. Hubka is also building revenue by offering trips for private groups.



She recognized a few years ago that helping her drivers become more professional would enhance the company's image. (Lack of respect from children and their parents was a regular source of employee complaints and morale problems.) Hubka also believed that increasing drivers' professionalism would help Rachel's stand out among its 35 area competitors and would improve the firm's chances of cultivating repeat private-trip business. To foster a professional attitude, Hubka provides all drivers with business cards.

She helps them with their personal appearance and manner, and she teaches them how to talk effectively with customers and ask for their business. She also throws in a powerful incentive for the drivers: a chance to earn more. Private jobs are rotated among drivers, who get one-third of the revenue from their trips. Drivers who bring in business or are requested by name get an additional 10 percent of the job's invoice. For her most aggressive driver-entrepreneurs, the revenue from those jobs represents as much as two-thirds of their paychecks. For some, it has turned a $7,500-a-year job into one that generates more than $20,000 in income.

The company's revenues from private jobs have risen to about 15 percent of total revenues. Hubka wants it to be 25 percent in a few years and 40 percent eventually. "If I can teach drivers to become more professional in their dealings with the public, that makes their job easier," Hubka says. "And if they have any interest in becoming entrepreneurs—as I did—this shows them how to do it."

annuities meaning ultimate assurance property settlement
wealthy and successful man rich choose buy home homeowner know insurance
ask mortgage lenders car accident settlement mortgage application
prepare investing stock shopping without debt factors affecting home loan
credit cards with no debt plan for business loans step buying insurance
choosing life insurance cheap car insurance debt with credit card
type of insurance how to request a claim deposit banks or insurance
need life insurance insure assets and liabilities contract buying a home
happy if in debt pay car installments most car insurance terms
urgent money request loan save money in stocks howto have a home
plan before retirement plan repayment carefully plunging to the depths
cut health care costs handling employee departure put on retailer shelves
low cost promotion guide to office colleagues get TQM traning
unconscious credit cards home to pay off debt want money to invest
credit card addiction manage credit card debt insurance agreement
loans for education lead to poverty what is private fund
overlook insurance also saving on debt do before retiring

UPDATE NEW TOPIC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts