The indirect materials are materials used in the production process, but that can not be linked to a specific product or work. Due to the very nature of this type of element, it is not always easy to distinguish between direct and indirect materials.
Some materials can be used in the production process, but even then they can be considered indirect elements because they are not sufficiently significant from a monetary point of view, or because they cannot be properly tracked.
On the other hand, they can be used in such insubstantial quantities for the manufacture of a product that they are not worth tracking as direct materials, which would imply including them in the bill of materials. Indirect material is that which is consumed in an indirect or supplementary way.
Therefore, they are consumed as part of the production process but are not integrated in substantial quantities into a product or work. Indirect materials can be thought of as the resources used in the assembly of direct materials for the manufacture of finished products.
- These materials are usually small, inexpensive and are purchased in large quantities.
- They do not add much value to the product that is produced. This is why they are rarely counted in inventory or in the cost of merchandise sold. Instead, they are only charged to expenses such as factory supplies or store supplies.
- Unlike direct materials, indirect materials are those materials that cannot be properly identified and assigned to the center or cost unit.
- Indirect materials are generally not tracked through a formal inventory record keeping system. Instead, an informal system is used to determine when to order additional indirect materials.
Indirect materials can be accounted for in one of two ways:
- Have them included in manufacturing overhead and, at the end of each reporting period, allocate them to cost of merchandise sold and ending inventory based on some reasonable allocation method, using a predetermined overhead rate.
- Charge them in general expenses as they are used.
Of the two accounting methods, including them in manufacturing overhead is considered the more accurate theoretically, but if the amount of indirect materials is small it is quite acceptable instead to load them into overhead as they are used.
Indirect materials cost
Indirect material costs are, together with indirect labor costs and indirect costs, part of the overall production costs.
Although they are part of the process, they are not directly and clearly identifiable with the cost object, generally a product or service.
Because production differs from industry to industry - or even company to company - it is difficult to prepare a detailed list of indirect material costs. Therefore, the final detailed classification is up to the company.
These costs are included in general production expenses. They are made up of the cost of auxiliary materials, workshop supplies, perishable tools, and equipment cost.
Specifically speaking, the cost of auxiliary materials includes the cost of fuel, oils, paints, additives, and packaging media.
The cost of shop supplies includes either lubricants or solvents, both of which are consumed indirectly or in addition to the finished product.
In addition, the cost of perishable tools corresponds to the consumption costs of tools, devices and equipment that have a useful life of one year or less.
They are almost worthless materials; It is difficult to estimate its consumption in a specific product, such as the oil used to grease all the machines in the factory or the cleaning supplies.
Examples of indirect materials are consumables not used as raw materials, but which make it possible to produce a more efficient or safer item or service:
- Disposable protective equipment.
- Perishable tools.
- Accessories and bras.
- Buttons and thread in the case of making a shirt.
- Nails and glue in the case of furniture manufacturing.
- Spices added to a hot sauce during sauce production. Spices are necessary for the recipe, but the amount used is not easy to track. Instead, these spices must be considered as indirect materials and treated as such.
- Office supplies in a service company. Supplies such as pens, paper, and staples may be needed to offer the service. These costs are not that important and cannot be tracked directly with the service provided. They are then treated as indirect material costs and part of the overhead.
Example on an assembly line
A good example of indirect materials is the screws and bolts on an assembly line. At the Ford truck factory each fender is bolted to the frame with a set of bolts.
These bolts do not really have any real value in themselves and do not add any value to the overall vehicle. Compared to the price of the truck, the bolts are extremely cheap.
Since every car that leaves the factory needs a lot of bolts, Ford buys the screws, bolts, and fasteners in bulk. It would be impossible for them to allocate the costs of each bolt to each truck that is produced.
You can think of it this way. A box of screws could contain 10,000 units. This box could contain enough screws to assemble 10 different cars.
Who knows which screws will be used to later produce which cars in the manufacturing process; it is impossible to know when they are requested.
That's why a company like Ford typically only posts indirect materials to a supplies or assembly materials account, rather than trying to assign them directly to a specific product.
Search This Blog
Best Video Games of All Time This is it, the list you thought we’d never dare to do. Today we’re concluding our series of the best video ga...
10 Mysterious Photos Around the World That Cannot Be Explained These are 10 mysterious photos that cannot be explained. 1. The Babushka L...
Most Horror Movies Inspired by Real People 15. The Possession (2012) This 2012 horror film is based on the haunted dybbuk box. In rea...
Top 10 Scary Swedish Urban Legends 10. The Silver Train This is a true ghost train story. Locals called it the Silverpilen. In Swedens ...
Top 10 Scary Japanese Urban Legends 10. Teke-Teke This is the Urban Legend about a girl who fell under a train and was cut in half. Sh...
20 Celebs Who Don't Like Taylor Swift Taylor swift started off as a sweet and nice country singer, but she has definitely burned more t...
10 Surprising Things You Didn't Know About President Donald Trump He is a real-estate mogul, a reality TV star and currently the most p...
10 Video Games of All Time 10 Video Game Easter Eggs 10 Renaissance Characters 19 Renaissance Philosophers 17 N...
10 Video Game Easter Eggs That Took Years to Find Playing video games has become one of the most popular past times in the world and game ...
- The Corona Virus Explained
- My Car Accident Settlement Worth
- Question Ask Mortgage Lenders
- Homeownner Insurance Tip
- Homeowner Need to Know Insurance
- Millennials Choose to Buy Home
- Habits of Wealthy Successful People
- Prepare for Your Property Settlement
- Best Healing Medicinal Herbs Part 1
- Best Healing Medicinal Herbs Part 2
- Strange Fruit Around the World Part 1
- Strange Fruit Around the World Part 2
- Strange Fruit Around the World Part 3
- Strange Fruit Around the World Part 4
- Most Venomous Animals on Earth
- Most Venomous Snakes in the World
- Deadliest Snakes in the World
- Most Venomous Snakes on Earth
- Weird and Gross Candy
- Deadliest Assassins of All Time
- Creepiest Families Scary Secrets
- Most Dangerous Countries
- Most Dangerous Gangs All Time
- Amazing Facts About Slovenia
- Amazing Facts About Australia
- Most Danngerous Weapons
- Countries May Not Survive in 20 Years
- Best Places to Visit in Singapore
- Things You Didn't Know Purpose of
- Best Airports in the World
- Most Visited Cities in the World
- Interesting Facts About Neptune
- Most Beautiful Capitals in the World
- Mysterious Lakes in the World
- Interesting Facts About the Sun
- Amazing Facts About the Sun
- Stars Put Our Sun to Shame
- Events Change the Solar System
- Most Evil People in History
- Most Evil Business Men
- Beautiful Places in the World
- Most Beautiful Cities in Asia
- Donald Trump Appeared on Films
- Equation That Changed the World
- Phenomena Faster Than Light
- Biggest Mysteries of Our Brain
- Incredible Lost Inventions
- Unexplained Phenomena
- Strangest Holidays Around the World
- Most Venomous Snakes on Earth
- Deadliest Female Serial Killers
- Oldest Animal Species on Earth
- Mysteries Science Has Yet Explain
- Most Expensive Foods in the World
- Serial Killers Still at Large
- Craziest Natural Phenomena
- Most Successful Indie Games
- Weird Fruit Never Heard of
- Ridiculous Science Myths
- Interesting Facts About Mars
- Discoveries Change History
- Cheapeast Countries Live in Europe
- Cursed Objects Can't Explain
- Most Bizarre Scientific Theories
- Weird Discoveries Can't Explain
- Science Facts No Taught in Schools
- Recent Science Discoveries
- Bizarre Things Found in Space
- Native American Mythology Demon
- Movie Believed to Be Cursed
- Strange Fruit Around the World
- Best Xbox 360 Action Games
- Unsolved Paranormal Mysteries
- Biggest Hacks on Youtubers
- Most Expensive Video Games
- Experiments Can Do at Home
- Science Fiction Predictions
- Urban Legends Inspired Crimes
- Nintendo Switch Games 2017
- Video Games Caused Real Deaths
- Evil Kids in the History
- Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle
- Best Beaches to Visit
- Video Game Records Never Broken
- Strange Things Inside People
- Pets Ate Their Owners
- People Who Mysteriously Vanished
- Mysteries Strange Written Clues
- Most Bizarre Curses in the World
- Most Breathtaking Natural Pools
- Scariest Real Horror Stories
- Scariest Animated Youtube
- Creepiest Urban Legends
- Crazy Fruits Never Heard of
- Scariest Horror Games of All Time
- Insane True Crime Stories
- Scariest Deaths Remain Unsolved
- Battle Royale Games
- Scariest Gaming Theories
- Junk Food Actually Good
- Science Facts Didn't Learn in School
- Scary Movies Based on Real Life
- Android Phone Can Iphone Can't
- Worst Countries to Get Arrested
- Most Dangerous Jobs in the World
- Amazing Places Around the World
- Nintendo Switch Games 2018
- Free Ios Games of All Time
- Unsolved Video Game Mysteries
- Youngest Moms of All Time
- Kids Born Incredible Features
- Scary Cursed Objects Still Exist
- Video Game Easter Eggs
- Scary Things Caught on Video
- Scary Hidden in Video Games
- Kim Jong Un Secretly Enjoys
- Memorable President Trump
- Scary Mysterious Creatures
- Horrible Serial Killers 20th Century
- Rare Beautiful Natural Phenomena
- Beauty Techniques Change Your Life
- Celebs Don't Like Kardashians
- Video Games of All Time
- Most Zombies Movie
- Powerful North Korea Inventions
- Facts About Trump's Vehicle
- President Trump Secretly Enjoys
- Dangerous Beaches in the World
- Horror Movies by Real People
- Celeb Who Don't Age
- Celebs Don't Like Taylor Swift
- Worst Movie Endings
- Most Expensive Fruits in the World
- Famous People Fake Behinds
- Scary Ghost Sightings on Camera
- Surprising About Donald Trump
- Mysterious Photos Around the World
- Cursed Objects Around the World
- Weird and Wonderful Natural Phenomena
- Roads Never Want to Drive on
- Stories Behind Country Nicknames
- Bone Chilling Urban Legends